edubya

Clutter Check! How are you doing?

Emily H
10 years ago
Every once in a while I have to step back and take my clutter temperature, for lack of a better word. It's so easy to slip and let things pile up. How are YOU doing with clutter right now? Want to make a plan to tackle it?

Share your experience! (photos encouraged)

Nina van de Goor's Home - Studio · More Info

Comments (55)

• rredpenn
    10 years ago
    I blame Houzz for the piles in my houzz. :)
  • User
    10 years ago
    Clutter seriously depresses me. Out with the old, in with the new.
  • Related Discussions

White themed bathroom ... How to warm it up?

Q

Comments (8)
    I really like pale grayish sage with white. Also a cool greenish aqua for a soothing look to the bath. White or gray Corian counter. If it's a low-use bath such as a powder room, white marble would be lovely for the counter. Rug or mat on the floor with a nice pattern to hide spills, dog hair, etc. If you have a window, lovely drapes, custom shade or match-stick blinds would help warm the space. Finally, if you have a bathtub, a custom shower curtain will really dress up the space and add character/warmth. Look at drapes as well as shower curtains on Houzz to get inspiration. https://www.houzz.com/photos/custom-shower-curtain-phbr0lbl-bl~l_43312 Consider the space across from the toilet & hang a piece of art there if possible.
    ...See More

How to hide my TV

Q

Comments (3)
    When you said hide, do you mean for it to be out of sight when you want to? If so, then you should install a cover panel. Couple of ways - the conventional one is a sliding or hinge type (like the top kitchen cabinets you see now in the market) or you can choose to have a sort of translucent glass and put everything behind it. Only when you switch on the TV, then you can see it .
    ...See More

How to clean door hinges

Q

Comments (5)
    It looks to me as if the hinges have been exposed to moisture. On a very tiny area, try a few drops of lemon juice and some table salt. Rub gently with a cotton swab. Wipe with a damp cloth and dry immediately. I do not know it it will work because I do not know what kind of metal the hinges are.
    ...See More

Help spicing up a small rental apartment and hiding ugly meter box

Q

Comments (10)
    Thanks everyone for the great comments!! I’ve decided to incorporate everyone’s comments. 1) Using Nippon rememberance for the wall color 2) Using pastel curtains with 3M to cover the ugly door and meter box 3) Making my own night stand from books 4) Getting a big art piece for the side wall 5) Putting a 55 inch TV at the foot of my bed for well, extravagance Some quick questions... 1) what color curtains and table top work best with this shade of grey? For the table top, I might get a fresh piece of wood and laminate myself. 2) what modern frame do you recommend for this wall and this kind of art, or should I drop the frame, and innovate, maybe just get a big piece of plastic and glue the sides? ;) 3) any fun ideas for the TV stand? I don’t want to rent a minivan just to transport the tv stand, and the space between my bed and the planned curtain is tiny - like 45cm. So I’m thinking of an adhoc tv stand and stabilising it in a different way. :) Ok, you guys have been super crazy helpful! Thank you so much, I’ll share photos (hopefully not too embarrassing) when I’m done!
    ...See More
  • auntiebuzzybee
    10 years ago
    Oh I agree, advira. I get overwhelmed. It's pretty bad when my beautiful pottery barn desks and organizers are disastrous. NEVER TRUST THOSE PICTURES! IT'S A TRICK!!! (I fall for it a lot ; P )
  • PRO
    Elizabeth Bolton - ReMax Destiny
    10 years ago
    I live alone so have nobody to keep me in line. I excavate the kitchen table or my desk every so often but it's remarkable how quickly the "stuff" piles up again.
  • mykidshavetails Dallas
    10 years ago
    I am a very tidy, clutter free person. I have 4 big dogs and I have to admit since having so many animals I'm cleaner then ever. I pay bills as soon as I get them and throw out junk mail immediately. I don't buy magazines because it's clutter, I look at them at the library for free. I put dishes in dishwasher every time I dirty one, so they don't pile up. I keep my closets immaculate so I don't have to struggle to find clothes. I do vacuum and clean hardwoods every single day and dust every 3 days. Before I had dogs I was more lax with chores but I love when I have people over and they tell me they would never believe I had so many critters if they didn't see them with their own eyes. It's really easy to stay on top of it and do a little every day. My home is my sanctuary and I feel relaxed and happy when I'm in it.
  • mykidshavetails Dallas
    10 years ago
    Oh and with the exception of a candle or vase with fresh flowers I have nothing on my counters or kitchen table.
  • auntiebuzzybee
    10 years ago
    Right off the bat, I like you. You have big dogs so you can't be all bad!!! LOL! I don't think I'll be inviting you over anytime soon, however. My OCD detector just went off with readings greater than 10! And my embarrassment level soared to new heights as I sit here all by myself and I'm still getting all covered up in guilt. Your dogs are gorgeous HUNKS. I notice they are laying right in the path like mine do so I have to step over them. Well, I don't HAVE to, I could tell them to move but..gosh, no! Oh Heaven's no! That's alright , dudes, I can still stretch step over you with my arms full of dirty laundry, no worries! (They lay in the doorways and pathways because of the lower, colder air as it has more movement and speed through tighter spaces). What REALLY GETS MY GOAT is when I've already bothered to almost bust my fanny getting past them when then they decide to get up. OOOOOH, I could squeeze them and squeeze them. Those big ones are my kind of dog. Wrap my arms around them and hug! Their heads come to my hip and I can pet them and kiss 'em without stooping over all the time. You seem like a super good Mom with a big heart for taking on four. I only have two now.
  • olldroo
    10 years ago
    Decluttering is easy .......................... RENOVATE................. then it all just has to go, there are no options if you need to keep living while the work goes on. When I had to live out of a suitcase for nearly 6 months, it was amazing the clothes, shoes, jewellery and cosmetics I didn't need and out they went and I didn't have to unpack and find new homes for half the things I had when the work was done.

The lesson I learned from this is next time a room needs a clean out, remove everything bar the basic furniture from the room and spread it over another room - preferably one where it will be annoying and totally in the way. Clean the original room and then bring everything back one piece at a time, ensuring it is absolutely necessary and place neatly and tidily into proper permanent storage.

The only downside is finding just the right storage for many things - that is still a work in progress.
  • margaretk
    10 years ago
    We are in the process of moving things to our cabin. Everything is in total disarray. I can barely walk through my office. I told a friend today that it would be easier to just burn the house than to clean it. I know that I need to do some downsizing - but not yet. I am going to take all the things I truly love to the cabin - which probably means that we will need to add another room! And, to top off my clutter - I have added all my mothers stuff. She moved to a nursing home recently. So I have all her papers, documents, and letters to go through. Top that with some of her furniture and you will see a very, very, messy, disorganized house. I am so ashamed of my home at this time. And, I won't be able to make things better for at least another month. I just pray that no one decides to visit!
  • rredpenn
    10 years ago
    Chin up, Margaretk! Just tell everyone your household is "in flux" and realize that life is a process. Don't be embarrassed! We've all been there, or will be...
  • inkwitch
    10 years ago
    My biggest clutter problem is my computer room. There isn't enough storage in the WORLD to organize this mess -- so I've just given up. It's papers. How do we accumulate so much of the stuff? Being a writer makes it worse! I envy those photos of neat little desks with just a computer -- NOT happening!
  • Lisa M. Rogers
    10 years ago
    We recently decided to paint the entire interior of our house. In just a few days, there seemed to be hundreds of paint swatch cards all over the house, not to mention creating huge piles on the kitchen counter. I can only do this for a couple of days and then it all has to go. To each his own, but I can't think straight with that much clutter around. I took all the paint chips off the walls and threw away "no go's" and started all over again with a fresh mind. Helped enormously!
  • ellimacgardens
    10 years ago
    We have a son in college, so it's just my hubby and I and a cat at home most of the time. It's allowed me to par things down. It's not as easy when you have a home full of children.

Over the years, as I bought furniture, I always tried to select accent pieces that had drawers or doors on them. We also built several closets and when the bathroom and kitchen were remodeled, I got lots more storage with cabinets. (Our house was built in the 1920s so it had almost no storage).

I find it easiest to declutter one drawer or countertop at a time. I do have one room in the house that's a 'storage' room and it needs decluttered about once a year.
  • ellimacgardens
    10 years ago
    When I have a hard time getting rid of things, I will stash them away for awhile. In a year or two, I revisit the stuff and it's often easier to part with. For example, when we'd update our son's room as he grew, it wouldn't always be easy to throw out or donate some of the old stuff, probably because I wanted to hold on to those little boy memories. After a time, I am less emotional and make better choices what to keep.

I found when you edit your belongings and only keep what you really love, it's rather satisfying.
  • houseatthelake
    10 years ago
    If I don't have a place for it I don't want it. Don't like to see all the stuff.
  • Sarah
    10 years ago
    How'm I doing? Ha ha ha! My desk in the kitchen is a work in progress. Perpetually in progress. It's on my to do list, but mostly I just shove the papers into the cabinet & shut the door. The pile inside the cabinet is threatening to push the door open!

Yesterday I was finally fed up with the ski & snowboard gear on the front porch/ entrance. So I moved the gear up to the attic, swept the floor, wiped down the window sills (dang, those got dirty!), shook out the rugs & put the shoes where they belong. Did anyone notice? Nope. No worries as I didn't do that work for my family, but for me.

I'm thinking about handling the off season clothes a little differently this year. Instead of just putting the items in bins in the attic, I'll separate the ones that I didn't wear into their own bin so I can donate or sell them easily next fall. I realized that I mostly wear the same 4-5 thick sweaters in the winter, so there's little need for 10 cute, but thin sweaters. I'll get space in my drawers for the sweaters to breathe!
  • auntiebuzzybee
    10 years ago
    @jdforney, and then it's, "well, what did you do today, honey? What do you mean let's call for pizza tonight?"
    I know things have been sitting too long in a space when I don't even notice it anymore! It's "progressed" PAST the point of bothering me daily (now, people, THAT'S pretty bad!)
  • Leslie Brooks
    10 years ago
    Every six months I go through everything. Now we are building, so I'm constantly evaluating. Plus, we have no place to keep "stuff", so accumulation is minimal. But I have a lot of kid stuff that needs to go! That builds up fast. And I hate clutter and messes. Drives me nuts.
  • vacox
    10 years ago
    My house is a wreck right now after a week of everyone in the family having stomach flu. stuff everywhere. I can't get too worked up about the clutter because with 2 kids there is so much paper, books, toys, crafts, etc., around that it is just crazy. The kitchen is awful, stuff all over the island; the family room has school work (one kid does cyber school) all over; the living room has my son's minecraft paper craft all over the coffee table; and the kitchen table is full of sewing and fur craft stuff. I have my work cut out for me this week. At least spring is peeking its head out….
  • jennifer_e
    10 years ago
    I HATE clutter but it creeps in anyway. Ever since I was young I would periodically go through my clutter starting with the "junk" drawer of either the dresser or chest of drawers. Next I go through the closet and all my clothes I no longer wear for Goodwill. Now whenever I go shopping if I buy anything I take something to give away. I also have pets (2 cats, 1 dwarf bunny, and a 24 pound rescue puppy). If I leave anything on the counter top the one cat pushes it off when I am not home and sets off the alarm; so I am forced to try and keep that clear too! LOL Other things that I don't give to Goodwill I give to friends for their school yard sales. Finally, I do make sure that if I buy a new piece of furniture it has duel functions like my coffee table that has a drawer in the front where all the junk or magazines and remotes can quickly be shoved inside for a quick last-minute clean up.
  • ellimacgardens
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    A while back, I read something that I think had to do with clutter that said "first, remove energy drains". So I sat and thought about what was draining my energy and it was a big stack of photos that I'd wanted to scan to my computer then put in photo albums (before digital cameras) but never had time to do. Every time I looked at the pile I got tired. I decided instead to get several pretty photo boxes to store them in and gave up the notion I would ever get them in albums. It was a huge help! Then when I had time, I'd do a little scanning at a time of the best pictures.

Since then, I've found it helpful to periodically ask myself "what's draining my energy" and try to tackle that first, and if necessary, be creative or flexible about how it needs to get accomplished.
  • auntiebuzzybee
    10 years ago
    @devinemrsm, excellent advise!!! Sometimes I have to simply stop the routine stuff and focus on those "drains". Those don't seem to be recurring so once I get them dealt with, I can return to the routine stuff. Believe me, it will be there waiting. It is a relief but just hard to get to but then once I'm on track with it, I'm happy with my progress. It's not usually as difficult as I had dreaded it to be. Good words of advise you gave. Thank you.
  • PRO
    Sustainable Dwellings
    10 years ago
    Can't stand clutter.... I go to other people's houses and have to fight the urge to clean up the carnage....
  • margaretk
    10 years ago
    I am so proud of myself. I sorted my graniteware collection and have it all neatly displayed. No clutter in this area!
  • Bradi Jones
    10 years ago
    @orlldroo
    Renovate is the truth i bet!
    I just moved from a 1300 sq ft house, to a house that's 800! It's been so hard to downsize!
    But moving is another that I would say that makes it easy to throw stuff out! I've been doing exactly what you wrote, have been putting everything that I can't find a space for, right in my way for a couple days, then it really starts showing you what you want to keep!
  • curacaoblue
    10 years ago
    Cannot live with clutter. It makes me very uneasy and anxious. I feel like I'm being wasteful somehow.
  • Chem K
    10 years ago
    Dangle the carrot scenario works best for me. Book a show or a holiday to set a deadline. Dragging my feet at the start is normal but as the clock ticks, my methods become frantic and brutal. Effective for me but not for the faint-hearted!!
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    Tackle a little each day. It won't get away from you. Clutter is anxiety. Proven fact. Our lives are more stressful today than they ever were. If that doesn't help, watch 'Hoarding, Buried Alive'.
  • Lisa M. Rogers
    10 years ago
    LB Interiors, I am a card carrying organizer with a constant radar going from room to room. If it's proven that clutter is anxiety, then what is hoarding?
  • yoboseiyo
    10 years ago
    ..... don't look at my desk, craft bookcase, or my bedroom floor right now, ok?
    just.... just don't.

rest of the house isn't bad, really. i'm just attempting to keep up with 1 full time job and 2 part time. soooo it's getting interesting.
  • ellimacgardens
    10 years ago
    If clutter is anxiety, I would think hoarding is full-blown mental disorder. I would also think hoarders suffer from severe depression.
  • Marilyn Wilkie
    10 years ago
    Were moving and in the process of culling out our "stuff". And what a lot of stuff there is! I started with the file cabinets. That was easy...almost everything was junk in there. Today we will bring down boxes from the attic. Luckily some of it is already marked "Yard Sale", but other things will also be put into the sale. Most likely if it's in the house or garage attic...we don't need it. So happy there are so many ways to get rid of stuff nowadays...yard sales, Craig's List, Habitat for Humanity, Salvation Army, Consignment shops, eBay, the dump, etc. The hard part is letting go but I'm being ruthless. One thing I am having a very hard time with is books. I love my books. Some are over 40 years old and I still love them. I have managed to cull out 10 boxes of ones I am willing to part with. But that still leaves about 17 boxes I'm keeping. Onward!!!!
  • vacox
    10 years ago
    I think hoarding is a total shutdown (as DivineMrsM says, full-blown mental illness). To get into that state they have to have some sort of mental defense/block against the clutter/dirt and the feelings it provokes. The psychologists all say they "don't see it". Yikes. I watch those shows to get me motivated to declutter, and it works great….
  • Laura Fore Myers
    10 years ago
    I need serious help, and there will be no pictures shared of my house. Lol
  • olldroo
    10 years ago
    Hoarding is an obsessive/compulsive disorder that is very much a mental illness, but sadly is still not treaded as seriously as it should be. This is not the only form this illness takes, constant decluttering and cleaning can also be a form.
  • User
    10 years ago
    No one gets to take this stuff with them in the coffin or in the mantel urn. Collecting stuff is something I just do not understand. My husband's collecting/ keeping things causes my anxiety!!!!
  • Linda Clyne
    10 years ago
    Christina Lowe, I love your dogs and I hate you! Okay, not really, but I admit I am jealous that you have found being tidy to be "easy!" Retired to a new/old/smaller house 6 months ago, from a house we designed so everything had a place. Now while trying to figure out how best to allocate our limited remodel budget we live in a half-demo'd house overflowing with product literature, samples, and lots of things we probably shouldn't have moved cross-country! I have worked hard to maintain a comfortable "routine" to ease the transition for our two (large) dogs but have yet to establish any structure for myself and our stuff. Trying to ease my high anxiety with the mantra "this too shall pass." Red wine helps, too, I might add....
  • Suzi Minor
    10 years ago
    One area and one room at a time makes the de-clutter process a little easier. I'm hyper-organized and live within a minimalist mentality so it has never been a problem for me but I can understand how it can seem daunting for some. So take away one piece at a time and the progress you see will hopefully motivate you to keep on clearing that will make more breathing room not room to bring more stuff in.
  • charleee
    10 years ago
    I cannot handle clutter of any kind at any time! I installed these in my bedroom closet. It's 6 feet wide and they fit perfectly. Keep them categorized and they will work wonders for you.
  • Lisa M. Rogers
    10 years ago
    Suzi, that's the ticket. Don't try to do everything in the house all at once. Pick a drawer in the kitchen, bath or bedroom, whichever bothers you the most. You'll be amazed what you'll find and how much can go bye bye, which clears space for things you frequently use.
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    Clutter and Hoarding has a deeper root. Many times if you can find the true reason, get professional help to discover the tools to work with to help you through. Usually it is a deprivation, loss of control, tragedy or loss that feeds the need to fill a void. It can't be helped. But it can be changed. Understanding by others looking in, will help those that need this guidance.
  • PRO
    Spruce Organizing
    10 years ago
    I am one of the minority that loves the challenge of turning clutter into a beautiful space! I am a proud member of the National Association of Professional Organizers (NAPO). So, if you wish that you had a fairy to help you with your clutter, visit NAPO.net and look for an Organizer in your area!
  • elisea2
    10 years ago
    About 30 years ago at our monthly library volunteers meeting we were asked our favorite book. I was the new volunteer -- the other eight said "Clutter's Last Stand!" and all laughed. I had to read it -- it changed my life! I considered it my other bible, and once found a copy in a religious book store ;). My house is in total renovation mode, claustrophobia follows me into each room. I will find a copy of CLS and do my best. Thanks for the topic!
  • ellimacgardens
    10 years ago
    elislj, thanks for mentioning this book, which I never heard of. I will try to get a copy from the library. I've read a few books on similar topics...most recently "The Hoarder In You: How to live a happier, healthier uncluttered life" by Robin Zasio, the psychologist who appears on "Hoarders". I'm not at all a hoarder but such books are interesting, and give helpful tips on decluttering.
  • elisea2
    10 years ago
    divinemrsm, I have used "Hoarders" to help me shift just one more pile, or get another storage space figured out. That was a terrific crew.
  • Marilyn Wilkie
    10 years ago
    I saved one book out of the boxes we are packing up...it's from 1991 by Don Aslett called "NOT for Packrats Only". He is actually the author of "Clutter's Last Stand" also and "How Do I Clean the Moosehead?" Lots of good advice in there with a sense of humor. The must be tons of information online too now.
    and.....
    http://www.amazon.com/Don-Aslett/e/B000APSSQS
  • elisea2
    10 years ago
    His sense of humor -- wonderful!
  • tantacatho
    10 years ago
    You send the first 50 years collecting Stuff .....and the rest of your time trying to get rid of it!
  • Lisa M. Rogers
    10 years ago
    tantacatho…so true! I've just shipped a couple of large boxes of household goods to a niece just starting her adult life…feels good to help her and an extra benefit for closets to lose weight!
Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.