sne97

Living room help please

SA Thomas
8 years ago
I am having a hard time filling this room, walls look bare and so much empty space I feel. Looking for suggestions on how to make this room feel more cozy. I do want to add curtains, gets really cold in the winter so need to help block some of that cold out. Mainly what should I do with the walls (especially the last pic wall). Previously I got a suggestion to add cabinets on either side of the fireplace and add art work above each cabinet but I can't seem to find low cabinets that would go in a living room.

Comments (143)

• PRO
    flair lighting
    8 years ago

out of the above i like 2 and 3. they can blend with most styles. I would say you're transitional style wise.

• PRO
    flair lighting
    8 years ago

• PRO
    flair lighting
    8 years ago

• SA Thomas
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Flair lighting - thank you for finding that mirror from wayfair.
  • Lila
    8 years ago

If you want to keep your existing mirror try moving it to the right or left so that it becomes part of the vignette rather than centering it. I don't really care for the idea of two matching consoles. You are just going to add more small accessories that way and finding just the right things is always difficult. I prefer the pic Flair posted with the sconces.

• PRO
    flair lighting
    8 years ago

i still agree about the side tables....

• PRO
    flair lighting
    8 years ago

sell yours on craigslist so you can make some of the money back.

• leelee
    8 years ago

I like these thinly framed map. They take up plenty of space without looking heavy or overpowering.

• wickedwhite
    8 years ago
    I like 2 and 3 too. I think I slightly prefer 3 for your space. I also like Flairs choice. How's the new drapery rod?
  • SA Thomas
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Flair lighting - I have the rest of the house to decorate so I'll see if I can use it somewhere else eventually.
  • SA Thomas
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Wicked white - drapery rod was delivered and is up already, drapes supposed to come tomorrow so will take a pic after that.
    Wall of canvas photos - still waiting on a few more being taken for me by a friend back where I grew up (on the other side of the globe). Did a quick template though on my wall. Top 4 I was thinking to be 20x30 (paper I had is 18x30) and bottom two are 40x20 (paper in pic is 40x18)
    Suggestions?
    (The light is making the walls look dark yellow)
  • wickedwhite
    8 years ago
    I like that layout! You will need to space them a little further apart though. Maybe 2" or 2.5" between frames?
  • SA Thomas
    Original Author
    8 years ago

ok yes that sounds good so more spread out

• wickedwhite
    8 years ago
    Yup! Pictures from home will add a lot of personality here. Great idea!
  • tgb1
    8 years ago

I have the dish wall mirror from Crate & Barrel, 36 inches. Would look great in your space imo...

mirror · More Info

SA Thomas thanked tgb1
  • SA Thomas
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    My curtains have arrived but what is this? Some kind of metal clips that came with it.
  • User
    8 years ago
    Those are curtain hooks.
  • SA Thomas
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Try to ignore the mess in my room now, I need a lot more curtain rings I found out. Is the color ok? I need to hem the bottom too
  • SA Thomas
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    SandyC please excuse my ignorance but curtain hooks to hang them on the curtain rod? How does that work
  • User
    8 years ago
    You need a different type of rod for hooks. The hooks go in each pleat.I noticed they are blackout drapes. Do you really need them for your living room? Usually blackouts have a really funky lining, not conducive for a nice drape. If you don't need blackouts, I would recommend having a linen set made with regular drapery lining. They will hang much better and not be so bulky.
  • SA Thomas
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Something is clearly off, rings too bulky? I took the clips that came with the rings off and used the curtain hooks that came with the drapes. Spacing off?
  • SA Thomas
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Forgot the pics
  • SA Thomas
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    I don't see a lining on the back but it is blackout. First pic is the front and second is the back. I wanted some kind of thermal curtains because it gets really cold with that whole wall being glass. Changing those patio doors to more efficient ones are on my long list of things to do but not for a few years. I have 4 other sets of such doors, besides these 2 so doing them in phases.
    I'm wondering now if I can just do three panels so won't look even more bulkier.
  • PRO
    flair lighting
    8 years ago

they look great btw, but im not sure what is going on with the clips. i really like them tho. i dont mind them with no clips either......just a thought. what a difference they make.

• PRO
    flair lighting
    8 years ago

on the art go ahead and move the track light to focus on the collage you plan to install on the back wall.

• groveraxle
    8 years ago

The hooks that came with your curtains confound me a bit, too. I've only seen those used with pinch pleat drapes. Don't skimp on the number of panels on that window wall since you plan to close them. You really should have 2 1/2 - 3 times the width of the window in panels. Otherwise, when you close them, they look like sheets. It's not a good look.

Not sure about your gallery wall art placement. Is it possible to mix up the sizes and shapes more? Having four of one size and orientation and two of another makes for a pretty static arrangement.

• SA Thomas
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    So I played around with the hooks that came with the drapes and used them like this because I really didn't like the clips showing below the ring. Does this look ok? I used 14 rings on a 100" wide panel - spaced enough? I thought I'd ask before I order rings for the other panels. I only have one panel and room already looks different
    Pictures - some smaller ones Grover? Or arranged differently?
    Track light focusing on that wall - brilliant idea, thanks.
  • groveraxle
    8 years ago

If you're doing art alone on that wall, don't be afraid to go low on the wall.

If you use a console to ground the art, then keep the art in proportion to the table and within the confines of the top.

• groveraxle
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Your invention of rings and hooks is ingenious and looks great! The color of the curtains also looks good with your furniture, at least from here on my monitor.

• wickedwhite
    8 years ago
    Wow! What a transformation! The drapes really warm up the space. Love the colour too.
    Are you the slightest bit crafty? You could see pleats on these panels. It would help them look more structured. Although they look pretty good the way you have them.
    http://shannonberrey.com/_blog/Shannon_Berrey_Design_Blog/post/How_to_pimp_out_your_store_bought_curtain_panels_diy_pinch_pleat_/
  • PRO
    flair lighting
    8 years ago

i was thinking plant grover so thanks for adding that :)

• wickedwhite
    8 years ago
    That should say "sew" not see!
  • SA Thomas
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Grover - I love the first two wall of art pics so will use that as my template.

Can't thank you all enough for such awesome ideas. Our house warming is in the beginning of March so trying to get as much as I can done.
  • PRO
    flair lighting
    8 years ago

• SA Thomas
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Wicked white - I can sew a bit, haven't in a while but I will def give it a try when I have down uninterrupted time (my son loves to push things on the sewing machine so I have to hide it from him).
    Plant - my mother in law would love you guys for that idea, she has been really upset that we don't have plants indoors.
  • wickedwhite
    8 years ago
    You may only need a needle and thread for this project! Oh.. And a ruler. It's pretty basic. Great job! The room is really coming together. :-)
  • User
    8 years ago
    I love that idea of creating pleats! Not sure if your material is too thick with the blackout backing? What do you think?
  • SA Thomas
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Drapes are up
  • groveraxle
    8 years ago

Looks good. A bit more fullness wouldn't hurt when the drapes are closed. Do you have another panel you could add? If so, try it. And if not, it's not a big deal.

• SA Thomas
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Groveraxle- I don't have any more panels, I agree though one more would make it look better. It will be closed only winter time so will just live with it for now or if it bothers me too much, will order some more.
  • wickedwhite
    8 years ago
    Looks great! I'm sure they will keep the cold air out in the evening. Do you still plan to hem them?
  • SA Thomas
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Wicked white - yes, it's a lot of extra material on the floor or is that ok to leave like that? It's about 8-9 inches off if I hem it so it's kissing the floor.
  • PRO
    flair lighting
    8 years ago

you would do yourself a huge favor changing out those track heads.....

• wickedwhite
    8 years ago
    Yes. You should definitely hem them so they kiss the floor. You may want to look into pleats at the same time. They will bring structure and will help them hold their shape and fullness when you draw them closed. (You won't have to fuss to get them to gather evenly.)
  • SA Thomas
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Update: not done but getting there, thank you all for all your help
  • groveraxle
    7 years ago

The pictures you've chosen look great. They'll look FABULOUS once you lower them to here:

Yes, really.

• SA Thomas
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Groveraxle - I took a picture from this angle, so like lower it where the bottom lines up with the top of the two chairs?
  • groveraxle
    7 years ago

Even lower. I'd put the center of the paintings at about 3/5 the height of the door.

• SA Thomas
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Ok thanks, the visual helps a lot.
Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.