gnfbyars

Need help for kitchen

gnfbyars
11 years ago
What would you add to side of refrigerator - pathway from kitchen to living room

Comments (103)

• wildsalmonkitchen
    11 years ago
    Cover your refrigerator with photo vinyl from an auto sign shop....you have seen those buses covered with photos advertising a play or the zoo? Same material....it is high quality, water and chemical proof. Perfect for kitchen applications. You need a high resolution photograph that you love. I used the texture
    on an old cannery wall for the top of a fan and the door of my refrigerator.
  • Tom Ray
    11 years ago
    We had a similar issue when we bpought our house.

We moved the refigerator and built it into the bank of (ceiling to floor) cabinets in the new location. We also changed the cabinet layout of the whole kitchen. Now we have a very handy counter top in that location. It acts as a staging area for formal dinners and its storage underneath is where all the not-so-small appliances are stored (mixer, rice cooker, panini press, etc.).

We looked at, but did not do:
    1) cheapest: a) Add a sidepanel that matches the cabinets. b) Add a side panel and also re-do the cabinet above the refrigerator so it was the same depth as the fridge.
    2) middlin': Replace the refrigerator with a counter depth one.
    3) most expensive: Remodel, reconfigure, and change the shape of the kitchen and adjoining room. Issues with this idea: (i) no room in the adjoining room; (ii) would lose the pocket door between the rooms.
  • PRO
    Design Alternatives, Inc.
    11 years ago
    If you do not want to change to a counter depth refrigerator then wrap it in 3/4" panels that match your cabinets. It takes up the least amount of space. The side can be used for notes, calender, lists
  • Amy Stanley
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Is there a way to have a magnetic chalk board made to stick to the side of your refrigerator rather then painting it? This would be the easiest solution and useful as well. Perhaps have a magnetic cork board made for the other side. I agree that painting the soffit the color of the cabinet would make the cabinets look taller and visually make the refrigerator a little less gigantic.

I did a little googling, you check out K&J magnets they will make the magnets strong enough to a)hold a fake wood panel to side of refrigerator or b) a framed chalkboard..
  • gmorton
    11 years ago
    You should clean out your cabinets first..
  • monica777
    11 years ago
    2 possiblilites only in my opinion. I've remodeled and flipped 5 homes..I would do one of the following. Remove a section of kitchen cabinets and put fridge on the flat back wall in the photo... THe cabinets can be moved/reworked to fit rest of space and fill in where fridge is standing now. Putting lipstick on a pig is a waste of money, and you will never be happy ultimately to some quicker fix of this. Do it right the first time!! .Frig's need to look 'built' in to work in a space. Having counter top space on the end in that current fridge area now would look best. ****OTHER idea.. is to make a narrower room passway ie.. use the sq ft right of the open side of fridge, to build a return counter space (maybe 5 or 6 ft worth..I cant tell entire size of kitchen from just this photo)(new additional cabinets in THIS space going left to right as we see this photo. That would extend wall 24 inches behind fridge INTO walk way opening) This will enclose the frig where you have it now and you will only take 24 inches of walk space to do and eleveate this entire problem and give you more needed cabinet space for minimal cost. YOu also get to keep the fridge you have. PS.. If you can borrow from wall in back of fridge by resetting it some if its a closet or you can bump out other side a few inches and re-drywall a tiny area... your fridge will then LOOK/be counter depth for best aesthetics.
  • ksl3h
    11 years ago
    Cut into the wall behind the fridge, move it half way into the other room, and then box it with narrow shelving and a message board on the back side, and a bookcase on the kitchen entry side.
  • PRO
    Restoring our 1890 Victorian
    11 years ago
    It’s hard to tell if you would want to recess the fridge into the other room, but that’s what we did… we were able to take room from our basement stairwell, so it didn’t cut into our living space…

Depending on your layout, possibly you could do some built-in bookcases on the remainder of the reconfigured wall? Having the fridge flush made a big difference for us.
  • Debbie Crane
    11 years ago
    A counter depth fridge is the way to go!
  • cmgardner85
    11 years ago
    There are murals you could put on the side to hide the fridge.
  • loiacono
    11 years ago
    Frigo Design in Brewerton, NY sells Stainless Steel Side Panels so that the side of your refrigerator will match the front.
  • PRO
    Go
    11 years ago
    I like the photo idea, except for the offgasing aspect. At least there's no leeching, its not like you'd be preping the food on a vynil counter. But consideribg the other strong elements in the air-- garlic onions, lime, smoke in general-- offgassing vynil becomes a more elevated threat.
  • herteljanelle
    11 years ago
    Paint the side with chalkboard paint to have a fun menu board, grocery list, etc.
  • PRO
    Marie Hebson's interiorsBYDESIGN Inc.
    11 years ago
    Wow - that's a big fridge - Gable it in with same colour as your cabinetry - try and make it look like it belongs but really - it's too big for this kitchen.

Can you recess it back into the wall - restructure the drywalled wall to get that fridge from projecting into the kitchen so much?
  • Michael Carpenter
    11 years ago
    There’s not enough information here to provide a solid suggestion, so I have questions:
    Are you removing the existing cabinets, or just re-facing/resurfacing them?
    What is the layout of the kitchen?
    Can you relocate the ‘fridge, and build around it?

If it were me, I would remove the dated soffit (empty space above your cabinets), and install cabinets up to the ceiling. Not only would this provide you with more storage space, but the taller cabinets would not appear so dwarfed by the ‘fridge. Additionally, should you go that route, a matching panel on both sides of that behemoth of a refrigerator and a 24-inch deep cabinet over it.

I’ve attached a concept I worked on, to give you an idea.
  • Rosanne
    11 years ago
    Definitely try to camouflage that elephant in the room. Yikes!
  • anneinthegarden
    11 years ago
    I would start by trying to get whoever sold you the beast (fridge) to take it back and get something smaller. It is way out of scale and makes the small kitchen look tiny and cramped. No matter what else you do this will always look wrong.

Next, It really depends on what you want or need. You could laminate the side of the fridge or use a self adhesive cork board and a frame or , you could also build a narrow frame and have small shelves or a pegboard to hang your pots.
  • Melanie Catalfomo
    11 years ago
    Wow- no need to be rude or mean! This person is looking for advice and is obviously in the middle of a remodel- hence no cabinet doors and empty cabinets below. That said- I think recessing the refrigerator into the room behind the kitchen is an excellent option if possible. I looked at this fridge and was considering doing just that.
  • Adele Kieser
    11 years ago
    a full length dry/faux wall with 3inch deep shelves for photo, nick nacks etc. will steal space from passage way but at least the bulk of the fridge will only be noticable from the one side.
  • alishaz10
    11 years ago
    way too big of a refrigerator for that space! It either needs to look like a built in, or you need to get a fridge that is shallower so it doesnt stick out so far....
  • skytonia
    11 years ago
    The frig up-stages the older style kitchen! A better choice might have been a vintage looking frig. The stainless steel is a beautiful focal point but unless you update the kitchen or build an attractive wall to enclose it....it will look like its riding solo & running the show! Thats Tough! Good Luck:-)
  • PRO
    Imperial Kitchens and Baths, Inc.
    11 years ago
    Counter depth fridge is about the only option we would recommend, if you do not have another space in the room for the one you are showing us. (Recessing *this* fridge may not be viable, it depends on the amount of air-flow the appliance needs. Built-in fridges are manufactured to draw air differently than free-standing fridges.) If these options do not work for you, replacing the cabinet above the fridge with a 24" deep cabinet will help visually balance the area - though the soffit would need to be changed as well so that it works with the flow. Good luck.
  • dgdgdg
    11 years ago
    I'm with the "relocate it elsewhere" camp. It's size is trumping its sleek beauty.
  • PRO
    PamDesigns 3D
    11 years ago
    I'm going to make a couple of assumptions: 1. You are refacing, refinishing or replacing the doors and drawer fronts. 2. The refrigerator is the size you need and is going to remain in the same spot.

As others have stated, the best solution to hide the sides of the refrigerator would be to add side panels and replace the shallow cabinet over the fridge with a deep one that is pulled to the front of the side panels. I would recommend that the side panels be no shallower than 30" deep to get maximum coverage and allow your refrigerator to be pulled far enough forward to allow for the chord. Ventilation is likely coming out the front in the bottom.

I've attached a couple of drawings that are an alternative to removing the existing cabinet over the refrigerator. You could use it as a support piece and create an open shelf which I think might be a less expensive alternative.
  • PRO
    PamDesigns 3D
    11 years ago
    I see that I failed to add in the soffits over the cabinets in my sketches. You can still do the shelf idea with or without soffits. You could also extend the soffit over the refrigerator cabinet/panels.
  • revss
    11 years ago
    Would a flat TV fit above the frig in the latest drawing, or is that a bad place esthetically or ventilation-wise?
  • cherimitchell
    11 years ago
    Leave the wall color as it is, change the cabinet color to grey. Martha Stewart cabinets at Lowes or Home Depot has beautiful grey cabinets that you could look at to see how they would look.
  • ellasmom11
    11 years ago
    Hi, I would get a really thin board the size of your refrigerator and apply chalk board paint as another person suggested. I would then add a frame all around and paint it a great color. Do 2 colors and distress it. Maybe add some nifty hooks across top or cork board for messages and pictures.
  • PRO
    PamDesigns 3D
    11 years ago
    Personally, I think the space above the fridge is a bit too high for a TV though I don't think you would have an issue with ventilation if it were a flat screen TV. I like the chalkboard idea for the right outside panel too! I have one similarly placed next to mine and I love it! For the person that commented about no magnets, sometimes they don't stick. They don't stick to my stainless fridge. You can get magnetic paint for that chalkboard panel and have it work as a magnet board and chalk board.
  • Christian Tomyn
    11 years ago
    You could get a sheet of stainless steel to match the front of the fridge
  • BJ
    11 years ago
    Paint it with chalkboard paint or display pictures attached with magnets.
  • anneinthegarden
    11 years ago
    The more I look at this fridge the more I think it vents from the rear, and will need air circulation from the sides or top. Before closing it in, I would look over the install and warranty pack to see what limits they put on air ventalation, so you don't burn out the motor or invalidate the warranty.
    Second, if you close it in, is there enough room to pull it out to service it? (clean coils, replace water line, stop a leak)???
    An easier fix might be able to hinge two frames or one larger one to the wall. That could give you a chalk board on the inside and a display board on the outside. Might even do the upper in pegboard if you had some Gorgeous pots and pans to display.
    If it were me, I would get a smaller white fridge,(that should save you a few hundred dollars) have it delivered to an auto shop for a custom paint job.
  • mountainbuzz
    11 years ago
    Go with PamDesigns 3D. I'm a retired Architect and after all the comments, I think her's is the best solution. Do the changes in stages. A little at a time. Nice frig. it's just like mine in the same location in my kitchen. I keep the side absolutely clean.
  • PRO
    PamDesigns 3D
    11 years ago
    Thanks mountainbuzz. I've been a kitchen designer for about 10 years and enclosing refrigerators as I drew it is certainly not a new idea. It is very commonly done that way. I have a very similar refrigerator like gnfbyars' and was surprised to find that newer refers nearly always vent to the front rather than the old style that vent to the back. Even if it does vent to the back, it's all the more reason to use 30" deep side panels. Unless there is an island or other unmovable object within 3' in front of the refrigerator (which there should never be), there should be no issue in getting it out for servicing (which should also be a rare occurrence with a newer fridge). The reason the refrigerator is painted gray on the sides instead of stainless steel is that it is presupposed that the sides would be covered.
  • suzieqdesigns
    11 years ago
    sell the fridge and buy a counter depth fridge.
  • firecarouge
    11 years ago
    I would had a sticker : "Oversize" !
  • peonys
    11 years ago
    Yep, sell the fridge; too big! Or, keep the fridge & buy a new house!
  • Amy Stanley
    11 years ago
    Has the homeowner returned to this thread since posting??
  • henwood
    11 years ago
    Remove the upper cabinet and change the fridge to a European style counter depth fridge (Liebherr or Miele) that is taller. You end up with almost as much fridge space but it does not block the room off like that one does. You can't really use the upper cabinet any ways.
  • pcmom1
    11 years ago
    Sorry, too many comments to read so I will just jump in: I would create a large framed blackboard, around 2 by 4 feet, out of the same sort of wood as the cabinets. Then just attach that to the frig with industrial strength velcro and have fun writing great saying or important info. Suggestion: "Choices for dinner: Take it or leave it"!
  • Carolina Girl
    11 years ago
    It's a refrigerator and it's in the kitchen why would you want to hide it? Use it and enjoy it! If you must hide it try placing a door or louvered panels along side or hinge them from the wall so you can swing them away for cleaning etc.
  • PRO
    Design Studio International
    11 years ago
    My recommendation: Remove/sell the existing fridge (WAY TOO BIG for the space!) and replace it with fully integrated refrigerator with side and front panels. Perhaps you would like to consider a smaller -30" fully integrated fridge - if this one remains in the house. No other change or addition to the fridge will have as big of an impact to your existing kitchen. Yes, they do cost more, but if you search, perhaps a local appliance showroom will have one on sale as they plan to replace it with the next model. And if/when you decide to remodel the kitchen, you'll be able to use it in the new design.
  • pcmom1
    11 years ago
    Seems like the poster placed a question and then never returned for an answer.

Lots of comments here! Couple of things maybe not suggested: paint sofit to match cabinets so that cabinets will appear taller and help to balance frig.

And if problem stems from seeing frig from other rooms: maybe add a swinging door between kitchen and other spaces. A throw back to another time, but not all kitchens have to be open.
  • Elizabeth Murray
    11 years ago
    Wow!! That is a big fridge!! Must have a hungry husband. Tom??
  • baha
    11 years ago
    There is no getting around it---fridges are a huge, important item in a kitchen and are sometimes a difficult thing to deal with, especially if you have limited space. How large is your doorway going to the living room? If it is large, perhaps narrow shelving in the form of a bookcase or enclosed narrow cabinetry for extra storage that would go longside the fridge. The cabinets above the fridge would then be better to come to the front of the fridge. Cabinets at the back of a fridge hardly get used because they are just too awkward--unless you are a gymnyst! Good luck with your renovation!
  • pcmom1
    11 years ago
    I use the cabinet above my frig for storing Christmas decorations. Then I only access once a year!
  • shopmavenva
    10 years ago
    I agree, PamDesigns 3D purposes the best solution. Another clever idea I saw posted here using old doors to frame a fridge would work, too.
    French Country Makeover · More Info
    That said, it is obvious the kitchen has been prepped for a make-over and that this brand new fridge is a prized possession. (Although, it seems like very important feedback that some "professionals" here fail to recognize a renovation in-process and are willing to tell a proud homeowner who just bought something very expensive, "return it." Not somebody I'd hire...)
  • PRO
    Sustainable Dwellings
    10 years ago
    Add on a walk-in cooler...lol
  • User
    10 years ago
    The fridge is too big. We shop often on the way home from places, on our bikes. We see people we know and have a little chat. We eat fresh food, not much frozen. We have a small fridge/freezer that costs less to run. That looks like a space ship.
  • elainemckenna
    10 years ago
    Toughened coloured glass panel which you could continue over to the wall over the presses.
Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.