oneofthesedayz

Help with kitchen layout required

oneofthesedayz
8 years ago

Hello we are having great difficulty designing a kitchen layout! Am seeking advice on the current draft which was roughly drawn up. Please delete that desk at the end of the bench. The fridge is larger than the draftsman allowed. I do have another fridge but if that can't fit into this design or space it will end up in the garage. That pantry doesn't look fancy to me; two double doors seems like an 'old fashioned' design to me .. if that makes sense. I have recently visited display homes that all seem to include butlers pantry/scullery and I'm not sure if I really need one. I don't particularly want a sink to do any cleaning up in a pantry .. can anyone highly recommend one? I had a huge pantry, basically a small room in my last house but felt the space was not well utilised and seemed a lot of wasted floor area. I am also undecided on an oven. I think I'd love induction cooktop but haven't read enough reviews to be convinced. My back is starting to give me grief so now thinking an oven wall would be easier for my back. Where would be the best placement if I was to have an induction cook top and then a wall oven? Hope that isn't all too vague!

Comments (20)

• Vy
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

from the plan is that a door to the alfresco area? or a bifold ? I would get rid of the pantry doors it's taking up all the space.

my butler's pantry is only 2350mm by 1200mm including the adjoining wall.

you could slice off 1200mm easy which still leaves you 3000mm for your kitchen.

if you're not wanting a butler's I would just have floor to ceiling wall of cupboards and don't have a pantry at all?

That way you don't have to worry about the double doors..and since it looks like you're only getting 600mm deep? pantry ? it's just like a normal cupboard ? or alternatively a big external sliding door on beautiful rails ? see below ..

if you're having a butler's you might have to get rid of your island bench have the door to your alfresco area to the far end with a servery /sink bench facing the alfresco.

then the wall with the cook top have floor to ceiling cupboards incorporating your wall oven fridge there.

? the far side is it a wall ? or an opening to another room? living area ?

oneofthesedayz thanked Vy
  • Vy
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

below is my butler's I've only got a small kitchen as in an apartment and since I used up all my bench space by having a double sink double drainer a big cook top the butler is where I do my food prep.

as you can see I made sure I had heaps of power points my appliances stays out microwave in corner..

I love my pantry

oneofthesedayz thanked Vy
  • Related Discussions

Help with an open plan kitchen, dining and living area...

Q

Comments (19)
    Hi, Could you add a pic of the lounge area outside bedrooms? There seem to be too many palettes of colours within furniture from white tv cabinet to dark brown book shelf to light brown dining to black/blue/beige sitting pieces. Tie up sitting by adding few cushions in possibly black/white/blue combo. Extend sitting area of living through the entire span of AC wall. You need a larger rug for this space. Angle dining table between 30 to 45 degrees with long length between detached counter corner to bookshelf end towards lounge. This will add the flow to lounge. Add a table runner along the centre of the long length. You need larger artwork pics or a collection of art pieces on living room wall behind beige sofa. Lounge can have a console and wall with a composition of family picture frames to personalise space. Remove blue artwork in the last pic. Instead, you can add a composition of wall shelves with artefacts on them or wall hooks with hanging artefacts. Rugs, table lamps, floor lamps and few bold decorative pieces will add the required warmth. A round centre table in the living room can be good.
    ...See More

Need help on my kitchen....

Q

Comments (1)
    Try blocking off one of the doors that leads into the kitchen for more space?
    ...See More

Anyway I can work around with this layout? Seems like pretty limited.

Q

Comments (10)
    HI Callen Aw, Congratulations on your new home! You must be very excited to start renovations based on your wish list and ideas of what you want and need in your space. Most apartments today are rather small but not necessarily limited in what one can achieve. It all depends on what you want from the space. I would suggest you gathers your thoughts and speak to a reliable designer and contractor who will be able to help you design the home of your dreams. http://www.sugarbakers.asia 
    ...See More

advice for layout planning in a long terrace house

Q

Comments (2)
    Hi, I think the Guest room has to move next to the yard as it needs a window. This will free-up space centrally and improve dining - dry kitchen experience. How extensive is your reno? are you redoing the whole interior?
    ...See More
  • oneofthesedayz
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Uyenvy Le thank you for your suggestions I am looking at them with great interest. I do love your pantry. My last pantry I also had a bench with all the appliances right there but my shelves were too deep. Yes they are sliding stacker doors onto the alfresco. We like to be able to sit at an island so would ideally like to keep the island there. You are correct it is not deep however our fridge is 850 deep therefore I am going to make that pantry deeper. I will definitely get rid of those doors and probably make it just a step in pantry because if I make them ceiling to floor cupboards I then can't put my appliances on the bench which I prefer. The far wall opens to the dining area. Thanks again for your input.

• oneofthesedayz
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Does anyone else have any suggestions please?

• longbeachgrannyflat
    8 years ago
    Have you thought about those pull out pantries, you could have a couple of them, which might give you better space utilisation. You would then have wall space to put in a wall oven.

I love my sideways opening oven. You don't have to lean over a door to get food out. Put the oven at bench height, so you can see into it without bending. Couple that with telescoping tray arms, and getting hot things in and out is a breeze.

I would get an induction cooktop. You do need to have a larger amp connection. If possible see if you can run two 15 amp lines for the cooktop.
    oneofthesedayz thanked longbeachgrannyflat
  • oneofthesedayz
    Original Author
    8 years ago

thank you longbeachgrannyflat & heeral_dave for your input and ideas.

I quite like those pull out pantries but I wanted some type of pantry for my appliances to be sitting on the bench to be used conveniently instead of tucked away in drawers/cupboards. Do you have induction and can you recommend your appliances as there are many reviews out there which makes things extra confusing!

I am definitely considering removing the sink & dishwasher from the island and moving it to the wall but find it hard to imagine washing/drying dishes looking at a wall. The reason we do not want a window there is because thats where the sun is the strongest and its too late now to put a window there as the plans have been drawn and I can only change the layout of the kitchen. So true dirty dishes banked up on an island will not look good at all. I'm not quite sure about overheads over the island as it is in the middle of the room. I 100% prefer the idea of sliding doors into the pantry.

Thanks again for all your ideas.

• marcros2
    8 years ago

The relationship between the 3 most used elements in this kitchen sink, fridge and cooktop, seem to be quite a distance apart. issue one

It is becoming more popular not to put the sink on the island bench but placed on the edge, where you have a window to the yard. If the island bench is long enough some place a hand wash small basin here.

I myself have a wall of pantry doors, a balanced arrangement, 400 mm deep and if i am looking for say spices, i know which cupboard door to look into, for this to work all family members need to be organised. The space to circulate around a pantry can therefor go into the kitchen.

Aging is an important to consider when designing a home. Yes the oven located higher up is important, and make sure the oven door when open is at the same height as the benchtops, for safety. Place the built in microwave oven same location, and you can install a pull out shelf under this, so if you want to pull the food out to look or stir without having to take it to a bench.

I would also consider placing the dishwasher just that bit higher up the wall as well, same thing, aging the back tends to give way. Drawers instead of doors always, if the budget allows. The island benchtop looks a bit wide so hopefully you are tall. cabinets up to the ceiling or place a bulkhead over to prevent dust settling on the tops.

I would put a wall of appliances and pantry on the wall with no windows, (where the cooktop is now), or on the bed 4 wall, my choice is the outside wall. make sure you do look at the elevation (vertical look) as well as the floor plan, and a skilled designer can make that happen. I would put the fridge near the benchtop on the other wall near the sink for plumbing reasons, and the cooktop next to the sink, leaving the island bench for preparation.

Types of cooktops, go see a few good stores, consider the long arrangement of cooktop elements instead of ones that sit behind the other in the standard arrangement, as reaching over hot food is not ideal. Gas still seems to be popular, but there are a lot to chose from so buy the appliance to match the type of cooking you normally do.

oneofthesedayz thanked marcros2
  • longbeachgrannyflat
    8 years ago
    I currently have all of my appliances on my bench top, but with the clutter hidden by a lift and slide door. The only issue is the geometry. To slide the door out of the way, the cupboard above needs to be wide. I am toying with making a change but putting in a tall cupboard with an open and slide back door. The cupboard would then have fully slide out shelves, wi a power point at the back of each shelf. Each shelf would only just be high enough to store the appliance because once you slide the shelf out, you would have enough room to use it. So for example- the shelf above the toaster would be 280mm. The toaster shelf slides fully out, and I can toast without worrying about heat build up. I just need to find ball bearer sliders that can take the cantilever weight of a kitchen aid with a full glass bowl!
    oneofthesedayz thanked longbeachgrannyflat
  • marcros2
    8 years ago

An appliance cupboard they are called, and if you have no butler's pantry these are good, as long as you have the room. lift up slide back doors work, tambor doors work, (roll top) bigger doors that slide back into a recess work, but the width of the appliance cupboard needs to be designed on the doors disappearing into the cabinetry, and with any slide out shelf, locking them into position is critical for safety. Safety is the fist consideration, always. ball bearing sliders can take quite a bit of weight so that should be a simple matter to find.

• scottevie
    8 years ago

Rather than completely eliminate the doors, what about if the doors to the pantry were the full width and retracted back into the cabinetry so that they can be tucked out of the way while you are prepping/cooking/using small appliances and then closed over to eliminate/hide pantry clutter at other times. I love my huge bifold doors that hide away my laundry but I think it would be annoying for pantry as they still take up space and create obstacles. For a short time we had a pull out pantry and it was quite heavy when fully stocked to pull out (mind you it was 300-400mm wide and the ONLY space to put food for a family of 4 so I had a lot crammed in). If you could fit it a slim pull-out for spices, cans, jars could be a good option to avoid having to stoop down and search in the back of lower pantry shelves.

oneofthesedayz thanked scottevie
  • antquadebigpond
    8 years ago
    • Do you have a butler - if so give them a pantry - if not an appliance cupboard and a pull out pantry would do the trick. Don't dismiss the value of a bank of narrow cupboards. They make good use of your floor space and are a cost effective option.
    • Get a wall oven
    • Think about the sink in the island. I have one and most of the time I like it, but it brings a lot of clutter to the island and when I am chatting to my family and friends we are always standing around a dirty sink.
    oneofthesedayz thanked antquadebigpond
  • marcros2
    8 years ago

If you are having full length doors they have to pull out open 90 degrees and then they slide back beside the appliance cupboard, and if having a 600 mm wide benches, those doors can only be say 550 mm or less so they don't protrude when in the open position. Hence the comment on width of appliance cupboard, 1000 mm is about the full width if using full length doors. If it needs to be wider, than other types of doors need to be considered.

I think the comment of clutter on the sink above and island bench is why most people are opting out of having a sink on the island bench.

Pull out pantries if built to take the load of what is going to be in one, they should be fine. A good cabinet maker will know what that entails. You get what you pay for in most cases.

• Lillien Curtis
    8 years ago

Hello. All ideas practical and an appliance cupboard is a must if you had in your previous house as demonstrated by previous comments. Microwave and mixers all away. A sliding door to pantry easy solution. Even one with timber frame (raw or painted depending on your finishes) and opaque glass is great as well. Not compromising on island bench is good. It is best to have drawers on both sides. Depending on your seating or not you can also re configure drawer at end but also keeping in mind power points are a must with an island bench. If you are of average height wall ovens great but not always suitable for someone who is below average height. I have an island bench without a sink which works really well, drawers each side and 2 stools at one end for my needs. The rubbish/recycle bin is a pull out dedicated drawer which is also practical. Sink and stove at the back. Make sure you get a good cabinet maker as well and decide everything beforehand.

oneofthesedayz thanked Lillien Curtis
  • kooky_karen
    8 years ago

Here are my thoughts.

1. Do away with pantry and have floor to ceiling cupboards with pull-out shelves.

2. Forget about a wall oven and go with under the bench.

3. The fridge is out of the kitchen area and I would look at swapping it with the desk.

4. Or alternately, here is my attempt at re-drawing -

oneofthesedayz thanked kooky_karen
  • rahnch
    8 years ago

Hi,

My suggestions

1. Not necessary to a have a pantry.

2.Put the fridge where the "desk" area is. And you can use the island bench for desk space with perhaps a built in bookshelf and drawer for your cookbooks on one of the ends.

3. Ideally a triangle formation for the fridge, sink and stove/oven. This creates easy access to all areas. (It's true - believe me).

4. So along the external wall of the kitchen- refrigerator, wall oven and cook top. Along the wall that adjoins bedroom 4,- floor to ceiling cupboards drawers. & the island bench - sink and writing/meal planning space.

Good Luck!

oneofthesedayz thanked rahnch
  • sallyd 028
    8 years ago
    My butlers pantry was previously a walk in pantry with shelves. The space was so under-utilised. I redesigned it to add Caesar stone bench tops and Blum drawers plus over head shelving and glass splash backs. There is a sliding door to close it off but I never do. Plenty of power points for all my appliances as well. Personally I didn't see the use of a sink in there, which is common in a lot of display homes. This is perhaps my favourite feature of my kitchen. My kitchen guy was fantastic with suggestions and options to transform my old kitchen - a good kitchen designer will give you options based on how you use your space.
    oneofthesedayz thanked sallyd 028
  • Debbie Henton
    8 years ago

These are the ideas I am looking at which may help you. https://www.pinterest.com/debbiehenton1/actual-kitchen/

oneofthesedayz thanked Debbie Henton
  • PRO
    Design Fusion
    8 years ago
    Hello. My suggestion, starting from the current fridge alcove. Leave the fridge where it is. Wall oven beside the fridge, return pantry in the corner with another pantry filling the space between the wall oven & return pantry. I suggest to have the sink and cooktop along the long wall with the island free from the sink. Good luck, Sarah
    oneofthesedayz thanked Design Fusion
  • Narelle Mckay
    8 years ago
    Visual ideas for options?
    oneofthesedayz thanked Narelle Mckay
Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.