jtzxi

Need help with living room layout (off-center fireplace)

jtzxi
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Hello All,

Please excuse the drawings and proportion issues, but I hope you get the idea. My design dilemma relates to area rugs, focal points, furniture placement, balance, symmetry, etc. I have a 9x12 nuLOOM Verona rug we just bought for our living room which is not yet furnished. We had planned to anchor the room with a 3 cushion couch on the back wall facing the fireplace, as well as a leather coffee table/ottoman and some chairs (or a love seat), side tables, lamps etc. We haven't gotten very far due to this dilemma.

The actual problem is more dramatic than the pictures I've attached due to my less-than-perfect drawings and proportions.

If we center the rug against the fireplace (and the room) a few things happen. One, the corner of the area rug nearest the entryway is liable to be tripped on as it's right in the line of fire. Two, the couch would be very much off-center to the back wall and how would that work with say putting a mirror behind the couch (centered on couch which would be off-center on wall) as it wouldn't reflect directly across from the fireplace and picture above the mantle.

If we center the rug on the back wall, the fireplace which is the focal point, will be out of alignment with the rug and the couch if centered on the rug, as would any additional furniture added to the grouping.

Really need help before moving forward and happy to answer questions and clarify.

Thank you in advance for your design ideas as well.

jtzxi

PS: Window to left is a picture window. Doors are single French. Entryway (which is larger than the doors) leads to/from front foyer. Mantle is white wood, fireplace and hearth are black brick.

Comments (17)

Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.