thuhongwall

Dark Living Room Help

thuhongwall
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Helping my sister-in-law brighten up and decorate her living room. She isn't looking to paint now, but I'm struggling to help with such a dark room/color scheme when I typically lean towards lighter colors. Added a new rug, found one large canvas photo for above the fireplace and contemplating on the light curtains... Thinking about adding ladder shelves to each side of media console and some lighter throw pillows. Thoughts or other ideas? Please help!

Comments (31)

• havingfun
    6 years ago

here is the thing about dark room furnishings. it does not appear lighter by dropping light things on it. you need to go middle range and saturated with some really lights mixed in. do you have any ideas what colors she likes? Are those sofas black or brown? did she wish to go with the current black and white style?

thuhongwall thanked havingfun
  • thuhongwall
    Original Author
    6 years ago

The sofas are a dark, almost chocolate, brown leather. I asked about adding another color and she really didn't have a preference. I think she's open to everything and anything. She does like the new rug! It's ivory with specks of taupe and slate lines on the shapes. The pillows we got were taupe w slight metallic and slate colored shapes. I don't think she's sold on the light curtains - so suggestions there would be great!

Do you have photos or thoughts? Having a hard time picturing "middle range and saturated with some really lights mixed in."

Appreciate the help!

• stylzes2
    6 years ago

The easiest way( and cheapest way) to add light to a really dark room is by adding white or cream and also by adding mirrors

thuhongwall thanked stylzes2
  • Rina
    6 years ago

Is there any chance your sister will replace the TV stand, or perhaps paint the existing one in a cream that blends with the fireplace marble? I'd do that, and add pale-framed art to the wall. I suspect that cushions will be of some but limited use on that shape of chair/couch, so consider using a throw on the sofa, too -- it need not be very light (I tried unsuccessfuly to pick up the curtain red in this one; Paint wasn't cooperating).

Clear the mantelpiece off, hang the art you have bought, and replace three items of different sizes/shapes, preferably light reflectors. Four absolute maximum -- three on the one side, a single bigger piece on the other.

thuhongwall thanked Rina
  • stylzes2
    6 years ago

thuhongwall thanked stylzes2
  • arcy_gw
    6 years ago

The picture above shows what natural light can bring to a space. The shades are not helping. I find the goal curious..from the paint and the furnishings dark seems to be her base choice.

thuhongwall thanked arcy_gw
  • nosoccermom
    6 years ago

There are a lot of windows in this room. What does it look like during daytime with the shades up?

Plus, definitely paint, a light warm color, maybe SW Creamy or any warm creamy white/off white. And then some colorful pillows. What's her favorite color?

thuhongwall thanked nosoccermom
  • just_terrilynn
    6 years ago

If she doesn't want to paint maybe you could ease her into the idea by painting the little fireplace wall a lighter color?

Maybe a navy or dark blue coffee table to bring in a bit of color?

Thin striped navy curtains?

Introduce some blues and a tic of creamy yellow into pillow?

thuhongwall thanked just_terrilynn
  • amykath
    6 years ago

Adding to others already wonderful suggestions.... get lamps and lots of them. One overhead light will always make a room look drab. I have five in my living room, plus cans and a chandelier. I love mood lighting and dimmers.

thuhongwall thanked amykath
  • thuhongwall
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Oh my goodness! Thank you all - I'm overwhelmed by all the responses and appreciate them all!

I like all the photos of ideas - it helps me visualize what everyone is saying.

I did highly recommend she repaint the living room but with 3 young kids - I don't she's even close to entertaining the idea. Her last house had very light carpet, lots of natural sunlight and much lighter walls so the dark furniture didn't seem so dark.

My default was to just go with all light decor but I like the suggestion of adding pops of color. I think we'll go forward with adding a darker blue. She mentioned doing red but the room is already so warm with the dark tan walls.

Keep the ideas coming and thanks everyone! OH - should I avoid using any gray since the room is a tan?

• katrina_ellen
    6 years ago

Paint would be such a cheap fix. Surely she wouldn't protest to a paint job someone else does? She and the kids would feel much better I think. It could be a nice room with some rearranging.

thuhongwall thanked katrina_ellen
  • thuhongwall
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Katrina_ellen - I was trying to wrap my head around rearranging too! Do you have suggestions?

• Yayagal
    6 years ago

it would only take a few hours to paint that room, the existing paint is sucking the life out of the atmosphere. If you are willing to do one wall, why pick a dark color, that's when you get a creamy color and bring some life to the area. Try painting the fireplace wall with a light color and do what was advised above. Clear the mantle and zone in on a few nice pieces. That being done, she will want the rest of the place painted.

thuhongwall thanked Yayagal
  • erinsean
    6 years ago

In my opinion, she does not even need to paint....just open those shades! Let the sunlight in....if she needs privacy, put up sheers alone. If she must have shades, get white roll up ones with drapes on that side which she can pull if needed. Overhead light is glaring and not helping much....how about a floor lamp, a torchiere for an up light and some end table lights. Just make sure with small children, the electric cords are out of theway. I will agree that eventually she will need to paint a light color but for now....let the sunshine/light in.

thuhongwall thanked erinsean
  • PRO
    Ortal USA
    6 years ago

One quick great way to brighten up a room could be to add a big mirror. I have one and the way it reflects the light can really make a difference!

thuhongwall thanked Ortal USA
  • nosoccermom
    6 years ago

Yes, what does it look like in daylight with shades up?

Also, is this room mainly used for TV watching or also for reading, playing, conversing? I'd add some side table, table or floor lamps, an ottoman to make it conducive to more than just everything oriented towards the TV. Could you rearrange some of the seating to face the fire place, or is there a view outside? Is that a slider?

thuhongwall thanked nosoccermom
  • katrina_ellen
    6 years ago

Wish I could help with that, but maybe someone with more knowledge in furniture placement will chime in. That loveseat looks awkward in the location by the FP. I would play with the placement of the furniture, it is oversized for the room but maybe there is a way to incorporate all of it without looking so crowded. Have you tried the loveseat on the window wall?

thuhongwall thanked katrina_ellen
  • K Laurence
    6 years ago

Add some lighting while you're at it ...placed strategically around the room. The fan light is very harsh & ineffective.

thuhongwall thanked K Laurence
  • junco East Georgia zone 8a
    6 years ago

I agree with adding lots of lamps--it will make the room cozy at night. Open the shades in the daytime and the color scheme isn't so drab.

thuhongwall thanked junco East Georgia zone 8a
  • thuhongwall
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks All! You all have given me so much inspiration - I've got some ideas flowing in my head. I'll be back down her way in a few weeks to try and finish things up. Would love to share a progress photo with you all so please stay posted! :) Going to try and respond to each of your questions, as I'm loving the feedback.

Going to try and respond to each of your questions, as I'm loving the feedback.

havingfun - I'm liking the bright colors but she's very very traditional and I'm not sure she'll bite on the pillows. As far as the rug, I think she's set on the large rug we just purchased that is photoed with the light curtains. I don't think she's set on the curtains and is open to some color there. That makes sense a dark blue wouldn't be great to accent. Think the blues nosoccermom posted would look okay with those dark walls?

junco & K Lawrence - I love the idea of adding lighting! She has a plant in that back corner by the window - I was thinking of adding a floor lamp of some sort there.

nosoccermom - I'm a huge fan of coffee tables, side tables and lamps but her husband doesn't like the idea of adding more furniture because the kids like to run around, play in the living room and lay on the floor to watch TV... I had suggested a large fabric tufted ottoman that they can still lay/sit on but I think they feel the living room is getting cramped :/ Maybe I can push more there?

yayagal & erinsean - I agree painting would immediately transform the room and I highly recommended it. I just don't want to be the one painting it for them when they don't want to do it :) The shades are normally open during the day but these photos were taken at night and they have a large amount of land in the back that backs into the woods, so they feel safer closing them at night!

katrinaellen - I like the idea of moving the loveseat towards the window - likely will try that when I go there next time to see how it looks!

Still struggling on the color scheme... but I'm loving the photos nosoccermom posted! I just don't know how those colors will look if the walls are not repainted but will probably give it a try unless someone here advises otherwise!

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    6 years ago

Start with opening the blinds!!!!! Even at night, the blinds don't need to pulled down THAT much, unless she regularly watches TV while nude! Without some light coming in from the windows, it will look like a cave no matter what you do.

thuhongwall thanked Anglophilia
  • just_terrilynn
    6 years ago

Thruhong, you say she is traditional but is this really traditional?

• partim
    6 years ago

That furniture is not meant for throw pillows. It has its own padding, and they will look odd and end up on the floor.

More evening lighting is needed. Mirrors can't bounce around the light that isn't there. Sconces would work and not get in the way - the plug in kind so they don't need to rewire anything.

Wall Lamp, Aged Bronze/Glass Shade, E27 Type A 60W,Dci · More Info

thuhongwall thanked partim
  • havingfun
    6 years ago

it can get so depressing when others don't read...

thuhongwall thanked havingfun
  • havingfun
    6 years ago

thuhong, am sure the aqua will look fine, but you can not have it just in the curtains it will look awkward you have to have somewhere else.

I have removed all my inputs, I feel i am out of answers, so have fun!

• everdebz
    6 years ago

Hand Woven Poly Nubs Funberry 2 Tone Stripe Pillow, Ivory-Turqoise 14"x20" · More Info

Classic Large Velvet Rectangular Storage Ottoman Bench, Blue · More Info

thuhongwall thanked everdebz
  • everdebz
    6 years ago

Not so much with the velvety ottoman, but for color idea:

Royal Empire Throw Peacock · More Info

thuhongwall thanked everdebz
  • everdebz
    6 years ago

Royal Empire Throw, Plum · More Info

• groveraxle
    6 years ago

Flip the chair and loveseat. That way each of them will be better aligned with their adjoining walls and the fireplace won't be obscured by a big fat sofa.

thuhongwall thanked groveraxle
  • PRO
    Napanee Design Ltd.
    6 years ago

Would replacing the seating be an option? They're quite large and look as if they're overcrowding the space. I would try to sell them and purchase lighter furniture along with lighter decor accents. Is painting the walls completely not an option? Because it would help with brightening the space up immensely.

I agree with installing mirrors as well as metallic decor to further help reflect light. Also, add small end tables beside the seating with table lamps. The space would look a lot more tied together if all drapery matched.

living room · More Info

Russell Handblown Glass Bottles - Set 3 · More Info

Shimmering Petra Gold Ceramic Shells Decor, 3-Piece Set · More Info

Apt2B in Kelly Oxford's New Home · More Info

thuhongwall thanked Napanee Design Ltd.
Sponsored
Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.