jenniferachin

How to best utilize rooms for dining and relaxing?

Jennifer C
5 years ago

Hi Houzz Community!

In our new house we have three rooms that are almost adjoining. We are a young couple, no kids at the moment, and I'm having trouble (understatement) figuring out how to best use our three common areas.

Room 1: Currently empty and awkward aside from a big dining table that we got for free. We've been dropping stuff onto the floor coming in from the garage. Gets reflected light from outside of sliding door. Stepped down from kitchen, floors are parquet. No lighting installed. Dimensions are 17' (sliding door side) x13' (fireplace side)

Kitchen: Folding table is borrowed, gets in the way when moving between Room 1 and 2, it is passthrough space and has some awkward corner crannies. Has a fan+light fixture. Dimensions of dining space. 10' (wall side) x 7.5' (open to other rooms)

Room 2: Airy and relaxing. Gets the best sunlight as it faces E and I've been really enjoying working from there and having my morning meal/coffee. Also the most distracting as you can see everyone passing on the two streets. No lighting installed. Dimensions 10' (wall of shutters) x 18' (doorway to rest of house)

Ceilings are 8'. We plan to repaint and will have a color consultant come in three weeks to help us pick colors :)

One idea we've had is to have two smaller, square tables - one against the wall in the kitchen for meals, and one in front of the fireplace for project-space - which we could push together if we have company over. We need somewhere to put bookcases. I'm terrified of making the spaces feel small!

I'd love your ideas as I am feeling very lost! Thank you :)

Floorplan:

Room 1:

Kitchen and Room 1

Room 2, with kitchen/entry through the french doors

Comments (10)

Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.