mia_smyth

Should I pay to have the fireplace raised?

Mia Smyth
2 months ago
last modified: 2 months ago

Hello, I have a dilemma! My contractor framed this area to put the fireplace. After the fireplace was installed, I realized he should have put it on at least a 6" platform. I measured from the top of the glass to the lowest part where the Mantle will be, and it measures at least 19". It will be a big hassle to take out and shut gas lines off and reframe it on a raised platform and put it back in. I realize it's hard to tell by my photo but if you can just visualize the fireplace mantle 19" above the top of the glass. The black will not be showing it will be covered with stone. This is a semi linear fireplace so its lower than most. 24" from floor to top of glass. The mantle will start at the lower horizonal piece of wood. and the ceilings are 8'. Would you pay to raise it or leave it? It is the Bellingham Kozy heat fireplace 44" wide glass only. and 24" High to the top of the glass. We are going to dry wall the beam.

Thanks in advance!! Everything I read says aesthetically the mantle should be between 12 to 14 " above the top of the glass. My contractor says he does not install fireplaces so I have to find someone else.

Is it worth all the trouble and expense?

Comments (15)

Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.